Date(s) - January 23, 2021
11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Each LAW School has a set schedule of 4 meetings from 10am-1pm
Recordings of each class will be available for 7 days if you wish to miss a program and/or revisit a class.
Learn About Wine School – the credential pathway
A great wine education is a strong foundation for any wine career or wine-savvy consumer. Each week we build understanding of the foundational bedrock and build towards World Wine Competency, achieved by passing this multi-week program and credential exam.
Students who have completed the structure outlined on the curriculum have achieved a better than 90% success rate and passed the challenging EXAM.
Over 1500 credentialed graduates are improving the wine world!
Enroll now, so you can complete our program and join a growing population of wine savvy consumers and professional trade. Graduates will receive a Junior Wine Executive (J.W.E.) credential, wall certificate, and credentials that are helpful in the application process for future placement in the wine industry, or just to impress your family and friends around the dinner table. Perhaps best of all, you’ll be in the upper 10% in wine knowledge and be conversational in wine at all future work and social occasions.
No prior wine knowledge is required; if you have the materials and textbook with as much time for review as possible, you’ll have the advantage you need for success in each of the weekly sessions.
- Culinary Institute of America’s Exploring Wine textbook (you may purchase this from us when you enroll, or you may source your own copy of the current edition)
- Wine Kits – each week you will be required to secure the wine kit for class, either via pick-up or shipping/delivery. (Via our retail and restaurant partner, we can ship anywhere legal).
- Hands-on tasting and instruction LIVE online via Zoom (instruction)
- An introduction and exploration of tasting skills as we discuss 8-12 key wines per week and each student’s purchasing project (tasting)
- World wine competency (weekly quiz)
- Varietal descriptions (flash cards) and homework projects
- Wine laws and history (reading and comprehension)
- Blind Wine Final – wines delivered with final Zoom kit for final
- Credential Exam (The Beverage Aptitude Review) issuing J.W.E. Credential Certification awarded on successful completion.
- Successful Certification includes: Wall Certificate, J.W.E. Credentials for your resume and lifelong satisfaction of elevating your wine ability
ABOUT IAN BLACKBURN
Ian graduated from California Polytechnic University in Hospitality Management in 1991 (Distinguished Alumni 2008) and is a live-long crusader for wine and improving the wine lifestyle. In 1995, Ian pioneered the internet’s first website dedicated to wine education and in 2020, he re-launches learnaboutwine.com to allow nationwide access to his passionate wine classes, tasting events and virtual tastings via Zoom. Ian’s career has shifted from floor service, to distributor representative, to state manager for an international wine portfolio, to author, to internet wine pioneer and now Ian is a leader in Zoom-based wine classes and events. In 2009, Ian launched his own wine brand with Clay Mauritson dedicated to the world’s best Zinfandel; Beekeeper Cellars continues to amass top scores (95-97 points) critical acclaim and professional praise. Ian has dedicated his life to fine wine and holds a number of credentials from the Society of Wine Educators, and continues his study with the Masters of Wine in London. Ian’s first book was published in 2002 and he expects to publish a new book in 2021.
Since 2001, Ian has served as an official Educational Ambassador for the Regions of Champagne, France and The Napa Valley. Celebrating 25+ years in Wine Education, this new age of on line education played right into Ian’s creative hands – contact email@example.com to hire Ian for your corporate event or private function. Also visit any of Ian’s websites at:
and more to come.