Date(s) - February 18, 2021
8:00 pm - 9:30 pm
South Africa’s wine industry and its people are being hard hit during the COVID-19 pandemic. We have teamed up with Waitrose to put together an online tasting of South African wines.
COVID-19 has affected all of us, but the impact on the people and the wine industry of South Africa has been especially harsh. Winemakers have been banned from selling their wines and many workers and their families find themselves in unexpected poverty.
Buying wines will help South African wine producers empty their tanks, in readiness for this year’s wine harvest. Grapes are being picked right now, and winery tanks are still full of last year’s wines.
It’s a big issue, and you can help.
1. Drink South African wines and help producers empty their tanks.
2. Donate to Bruce Jack’s charity, The Headstart Trust, a rural food relief charity, providing food and other support to families in the Cape . You can read more about the charity and its work here: https://brucejack.com/the-headstart-trust-rural-food-relief-update/
How this tasting works
This tasting is designed to help the South African wine industry in two ways: by buying their wines; and we will be donating all the profits from this event to The Headstart Trust, which is providing food relief.
1. You buy a ticket to the tasting here (all the profits will go to The Headstart Trust).
2. Buy a specially selected and discounted case of 6 South African wines, available only from Waitrose Cellar for £55 – it will be available to order online online from 8th February. The case includes one bottle each of: De Grendel Sauvignon Blanc, Kaapzicht Chenin Blanc, Rustenberg Chardonnay, Stellenrust Cinsault, Fairview Pinotage and Journey’s End Cabernet Sauvignon. The discounted price of this case of 6 will be £55 (compared to just over £75 when all the wines are full price). Or buy one or more of the bottles instore (discount won’t apply).
3. Tell your friends!
4. We taste the wines together on the evening of Thursday 18th February!